Feedback Strategies

 

Feedback strategies are great. It's important to be aware of the implications of feedback we give, and that now every person will receive feedback the same way. Knowing several strategies of feedback is important for that reason, because one strategy may be more effective for a person than another strategy. Feedback is a way to show that you care for a person or what they are doing, and having different strategies is an opportunity to have a larger impact. 

I like the Five Reasons to Stop Saying "Good Job!" article. I was a literacy tutor for elementary kids a couple years ago, and I definitely told them good job many times. I didn't even realize or think about the implications that those words can have on them. I agree with the article that kids can become attached to those two words and do things just so that they can hear those words. Each of the 5 reasons makes sense to me, and especially at those young ages, saying "good job" is not a beneficial feedback strategy. I like that the end of the article gives 3 useful feedback strategies. Especially the "say what you saw" and "talk less, ask more" strategies. Asking questions is just a great strategy for many things. 

The second article I read is How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk. Off the bat, I like the title. It draws me in because it interests me and frankly I don't want to sound like a jerk when I give feedback. I love the organization of this article. Having 4 distinct strategies makes it flow well and I agree with the strategies. When I imagine someone giving me feedback using these strategies, I think I would respond well. I would feel valued and that the person genuinely cares about me. I like the first 3 points the most. The first point just lays a clear and honest stage for the feedback that proceeds it. The second point does seem to humble the feedback giver and adds some empathy to the conversation. Empathy in the way that both members are not perfect and both trying to get better. Lastly, the third point is just a great question. It allows the other person to choose if they want feedback and gives them a stake in the conversation. That feeling of inclusion, will likely yield in the feedback being better received. Overall, some great articles about feedback! 

Comments

Popular Posts