Reading Notes: Saints and Animals Part A

  • Saint Kentigern and the Robin
    • Absolutely love this story. I love the character Kentigern and how he has all these skills of being intelligent, kind, calm-minded, humble, gentle, and loving. All around Kentigern is a great guy. I like how the story makes him relatable in the way of Kentigern feeling at a loss of what to do when the fire went out, and later him feeling shocked when he discovers the death of the robin. While Kentigern does not clearly show any flaws, I like that he is shown differently those two times rather than him knowing what to do immediately for example. 
    • I also like how at the end, the boys learn their lesson and start to show Kentigern kindness and respect. I like stories where the antagonist learns his/her lesson in the end and has a turning point
    • Also, the revival of the bird was something I did not predict at all so that was a cool turning point
    • Saint Servan and Kentigern's mentorship relationship is an interesting dynamic. Especially, when their relationship is tested and Servan shows hints of doubt in Kentigern 
  • Saint Blaise and His Beasts
    • This story reminds me of the movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Newt and Saint Blaise both are upstanding likable protagonists. I like the idea of a person being able to communicate and have relationships with animals. It is an interesting power per se, and I like how the animals respect Blaise. 
  • Saint Comgall and the Mice
    • "AT the place where the Irish Sea is narrowest is the town of Bangor. There the green hills of Saint Patrick's island smile over at the purple cliffs of Scotland across the lane of water where the ships pass to and fro, just as neighbors nod across a narrow street above the heads of the passers-by. And here at Bangor Saint Comgall built a monastery, thirteen hundred long years ago."
      • I love the beginning imagery in this text. I feel like I have a perfect image in my mind with the sea, the colored hills and cliffs, ships passing, and neighbors together. 
    • "One day Comgall was walking with some friends on the bank of a pond. All of a sudden, through the rushes and the tall grass some one spied six beautiful white swans floating on the water, preening their fine feathers and arching their necks proudly. For they could see in the water, just as if it were a mirror, how handsome they were, and it made them vain."
      • Another part of the text with great imagery 
    • Overall, this story keeps my attention with its use of imagery and light-hearted feel throughout the story
    • "And a great procession of long-tailed tiny things formed into line and crept along, and along, up the hill, and up the walls, and into the barns of Croadh. A legion of mice, thousands upon thousands of them in a gray-uniformed army, pounced upon the Prince's precious grain and ate up every kernel."
      • A third part of text I really like



Comments

Popular Posts