Reading Notes: Saints and Animals Part B

  •  The Fish Who Helped Saint Gudwall
    • "The island was one of those high mountains poking up out of the sea, with green grass on top, like colored frosting to a cake; and gray rocks below, all hollowed out into deep caves and crannies, as if mice had been nibbling at the cake." 
      • Love the imagery and simile here
    • "Their home was one of those caves into which the sea rushes a little way and then suddenly backs out again as if it had changed its mind this time but would call again."
      • I like this as if the sea is alive and can think. Contrary to normal and adds a unique element. 
    • "All day long a procession of fish, like people in line at a ticket office, moved steadily up to the shallows and back again."
      • Love this simile. Creative to compare fish to a line at a ticket office 
    • I really like how this story starts out calmly, joyfully, and the two friends are just enjoying their time. The imagery in this story is great and there are several creative ideas I like as I have said. I like how the sea is treated as if it is alive several times, and that it seems angry at them. But then the fish are intelligent and are the protagonists against the sea more or less. Cool how the story goes from their prayer to God to the fish being the actors of God's will. 
  • The Wolf-Mother of Saint Ailbe
    • Part 1 of this story is very interesting. Going from the bad parents, to a loving wolf mother and family, reminds me of the Jungle Book (of which I love very much). I like that wolves are protagonists here because wolves have a stereotype of being vicious animals. But in part 1 they "had much more sense" in comparison to humans. 
    • I also like how Ailbe is rescued by a prince how first is termed as a hunter. This misdirection makes the reveal that he is actually a prince much more intriguing. Because the hunter appears to start as an antagonist but shifts as his character is revealed. 
    • I also love the mention of the Blarney Stone because not only have I been there and kissed the stone myself, but it is a vital part of Irish culture. 
    • I like the twist in part 2. His wolf-mother being chased by hunters and he saves her. The story comes full-circle with the reuniting of Ailbe and his wolf family


Comments

Popular Posts