Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology

 


Story source: The Key of Gold by Josef Baudis (1922).

  • Focus on the Plot: the single most important moment in the plot was when the mother picked the roses from the garden. Her picking of the roses is where the story changes and the basilisk is introduced. 
  • Focus on one character: I am most interested in the basilisk. Mostly about why he asked the mother for her daughter. Was it for love? Or was it so that he would turn into a youth and own the castle? His motives are unknown. He is a mysterious character to me, and in some way, I would like to incorporate a similar mysterious character in my story. One whose history and motives are unknown. 
  • Starting a Story: I like how this story starts out. I learn most of the characters, the scene, and the mission of the main character in the first two sentences. Solid understanding of the story from the beginning. I like that it is not over complicated. However, if the author wanted to, there could be more details. 
  • WikipediaBasilisk
    • Very interesting that one of the interpretations for this word is "little king"
Story source: These fables all come from The Fables of Aesop by Joseph Jacobs (1894).
Notes from Fables
  • Hollywood Casting
    • Androcles: Tom Holland- can play charismatic, kind, caring roles and also can be an action star that may fit in an arena. 
    • Lion: Jeremy Irons- He played Scar in the original Lion King movie, so he can play a compelling lion and he can play protagonist roles. His mixture of roles leads me to believe he would be a good lion here. Also, his voice is incredible. 
  • Point of View: Each of the lion mini-stories is told in a third-person narrative style. This style absolutely has strengths and I do like it for its purposes. However, I prefer the first person and to be able to hear the thoughts of characters. 
  • Beautiful sentences: I love the italicized sentences beneath each mini-story (except for the first one because it lacks a sentence). Each sentence gives a take-away message from the mini-story that is short and inspiring. 

Comments

Popular Posts