Topic Research: Hawaiian Stories

I am not a fan of the organization of any of the stories I have gone through. There aren't any titles. Several of the stories do not have a central character. Or at least, it is not easily distinguishable. Partially for this reason, I do not like the flow of these articles. The articles aren't very organized either. Several articles have different styles and it can be confusing what is actually the story vs analysis or description. Italicized texts seem to be the actual stories, but some parts that are not italicized seem like part of the story. These reasons make it difficult for me to understand what the text is saying. However, there are still things to take away from these stories 

  • Voyage to the Land of the Gods
    • Two main ideas I like about this short story, the two main characters (Waha-nui, and Kane-apua), and the adventure aspect. Waha-nui is a man with integrity and honor as he vows to go on a voyage and he keeps to his word. It is unclear why he made this vow, so I could do a story about the background of this vow. Overall, I like his attributes. Even though he displays some sort of creature and then he and his entire crew but one man die. Kane-apua at first sounds like a jerk to his brother and Waha-nui, but then he does good things and saves the crew of the ship. His control over storms is also super cool. 
    • I love the adventure idea presented in this story. A bunch of friends set sail on a quest together. Definitely an idea I might entertain later
  • Romances of Match-Making
    • Even though Lu'ukia and Uweuwe-lekehau are banished and Uweuwe-lekehau was turned into a fish, they still live happily in Mana where they make the land "a fertile land where the hearts of the people are stolen by kindness." I'm interested in continuing their story where Uweuwe-lekehau changes back into a man. 
  • Guardian Gods
    • I like the STORIES OF OFFENDED AUMAKUA. The brown-haired woman is an interesting character that acts as a protectorate of animals. The deaths in this story sound a little gruesome, but the idea that the animals are being mistreated is interesting. Also, I love the shark gods. Kaahu-pahau and her brother (or son) Ka-hi‘u-ka are interesting characters and they appear to be protagonists. Their story is absolutely interesting and I'm interested in expanding their characters. 

Comments

Popular Posts