Reading Notes: Jamaica Reading A

  • Tying Tiger by Martha Warren Beckwith (1924)
    • I do not like this story. The word and structure are quite simple. Everything is easily understandable, but the organization of the words and perhaps even the oversimplification make it difficult for me to really know what's happening. All I could think of while reading was the dialogue between the characters. There was little descriptive information about the environment or about the characters. The author mentions a mango tree which gives me some picture in my mind, but little else to really interest me. 
    • Ways this story could be more interesting: if there were more details about the scenery and characters and if the word organization/usage was more socially normal. 
    • I realized most of the stories follow similar wor organization/usage 
  • Tiger as Riding-Horse by Martha Warren Beckwith (1924)
    • This story is slightly easier to follow. I like the dialogue more. Mostly because it is easier for me to understand what is happening and what they are talking about. I like the song at the end. It is an interesting and unique aspect that may be representative of Jamaican culture. 
  • Tiger's Breakfast and Tiger's Bone-Hole by Martha Warren Beckwith (1924)
    • I like these two stories a little bit more. There seems to be some character progression with Anansi and his "pickney." Progression through more storytelling of them and understanding the characters through more dialogue. However, it is still hard for me to really understand who the characters are. These stories seem to stay on the surface level of the characters. Which isn't bad, but I typically like more character depth 
  • Long-Shirt by Martha Warren Beckwith (1924) 
    • The tone of stories changes a bit here. The style is a bit more modern or normal word organization. Meaning, the story is easier for me to follow. The story is an interesting idea. The talking shirt and it being the focus of conflict is unique. I like how the story wraps up with an origin story of why goat’s smell bad. Totally unexpected and I liked it. 








Comments

Popular Posts