Reading Notes: Philippines Part A

  •  The Three Friends: the Monkey, the Dog, and the Carabao by Dean S. Fansler (1921)
    • I like the idea of three friends on an adventure together away from the city. Not much is known about the backgrounds of these characters, but I do not think that damages the story. 
    • I would add a little bit about them just because I like to know character qualities
    • The author's notes at the beginning do a great job of explaining some of the characters and I appreciate that.
      • Make note: I may want to do this with some of my characters 
    • Later in the story, I liked that the monkey came up with an idea to trick the Buñgisñgis, I had predicted something different.
    • I also was not expecting the companions to dig him up and he left only the monkey
      • Somewhat of a sad anti-climatic ending for the companions
    • I like the structure of the dialogue in this story. It is easy to follow and flows well.
    • The use of the boa constrictor is creative 
  • The Enchanted Prince by Dean S. Fansler (1921)
    • I love the introduction of this story
      • It is descriptive, great imagery, sets the environment up, the main characters seem to be introduced, and the story's conflict at the end
      • It also gives a time frame. About everything I would want from an introduction 
    • Totally did not expect the witch to be that powerful. Interesting twist
    • I like the idea of a beautiful daughter of a poor man who notices the monkeys eyes
      • Almost seems right in a way that a person like her would notice his eyes
    • Love the ending as well
      • The story ends similar to how it began, with the prince a human and the kingdom back. The conflict is resolved and everyone seems happy
    • This story is unique in the beginning plot of the dad forcing the son to marry and the witch creating the conflict out of jealousy and anger. Also, the changing into animals. 
  • The Poor Man and his Three Sons by Dean S. Fansler (1921) 
    • First of all, the items seem to go in order (animals), and then the scythe
      • Seems like the brothers will separate into two groups OR the scythe will be special 
    • In reality, my predictions were 100% incorrect
    • However, I really like how it turned out. Each brother found a specific group of people who greatly needed what he was selling and they all ended up rich. 
      • Thanks to the advice of their father
    • Possibly a grand message of listening to the advice of mentors/elders/parents


Comments

Popular Posts