Reading Notes: British North America Reading A

  • Beliefs by Katharine Berry Judson (1917) 
    • I really enjoyed this story. It's basically background information about the beliefs of the Bella Coola which I am assuming is a group of people. The idea of five worlds is super fascinating and a unique idea. I like that each world is distinct and is presented almost like floors of a building. This layering and description make it easy to picture in my mind. I like how many visuals are in this story. There is not really a main character, just the narrator describing the five worlds. The part about the mountains being "human" and actually being able to move and act is a really cool idea. Reminds me of The Hobbit where giant rock giants or "stone giants" were portrayed as living things fighting against each other. Lord of the Rings also does this with Ents.
      • I like the idea of bringing inanimate things to life 
      • The Hobbit would be a good movie adapting into a story potentially. A group of friends or acquaintances on a journey 
    • 'Afraid of Nothing' visits causing sickness and death are interesting causes for those phenomena. 
  • Creation of the World by Katharine Berry Judson (1917)
    • I love the idea of a "Sky Land" similar to one of the five worlds of the previous story, but in this one people live in the Sky Land. Interesting that the people dug, as if they did not know they were in the sky. 
      • If this is true, I like the idea of people not knowing that they are living in the sky. Or living above something. It is an intriguing twist. 
    • The idea of animals having a society and community is always an idea I enjoy. I like how this one incorporates animals I would not first think of as leaders or even members of an ocean community. Animals like swans, toads, and a turtle leader. 
    • I like how this story transitions from one scenery to a new one (Sky Land to the ocean on earth)
      • The transition is seamless through the action and details
  • How the Earth Was Formed by Katharine Berry Judson (1917)
    • I like how each paragraph begins with a time-orienting transition or dialogue. Time-orienting transitions like "Early next morning" make it flow well and help me (the reader) understand the context more and follow along visually



Comments

Popular Posts