Reading Notes: Canterbury Tales Reading A

  • The Unknown Bride
    • Couple of things I do not like about this story: I do not like the first paragraph. Fairies are only mentioned there and play no other part in the story so I do not understand the point of mentioning that. Also, the elf-rings I thought my play a role in the story but they also have no purpose. I'm just not sure what the point of the first paragraph is
      • Note to me: make sure to start out a story with a relevant intro rather than fluff. 
    • I do like the structure of the paragraphs. It feels right, where the paragraphs are broken up. 
    • I like that this knight is originally painted as a real bad guy yet the latter part of this story makes him seem good or at least respectable. I like the depth of this character (a good and bad side). Maybe he regrets his actions and seeks redemption? 
    • I also do not understand the point of the King Midas story. The writer could have just said the lady avoids telling secrets or something simple. 
    • I like the end dialogue between the knight and the old crone. 
      • This feels like the beginning of the climax/action part with their dialogue 
  • The Unknown Bride cont. 
    • Right out the gate, I like that the writer does not yet say what the old crone said to the knight
    • Interesting that the old crone is the one to intercede after he gave his answer 
      • A sort of twist but not completely unexpected
    • The knight seems to have chosen his honorable and respectful self to hold up his word 
    • ".... you are so poor and old and homely." Part of the knight's true self may be showing here. Parts of his selfishness and pride 
    • I love the lesson intertwined here in the old crone's dialogue. Messages about the positive parts of being poor 
    • Big fan of the ending as the knight is redeemed by the kingdom and he redeems himself by noticing her wisdom and her goodness and giving in to her. 
    • I also like how she is portrayed here. She originally seemed like an evil witch of sorts and in the end, she is a great lady who found her husband! 
      • Even though she did kind of have to force him to marry her, it is nice that the two both end up happy. 
  • The Revelers who Went out to Meet Death 
    • I followed the Wikipedia article regarding "indulgences" and that is an interesting idea. I, as a Christian but not super familiar with Catholic beliefs, have not heard of that term. 
    • I like how this story starts out with the scene and gives a simple but well-rounded idea of these young men 
    • Unique storytelling perspective "My story" 
    • I like the pact the friends make near the end to face the enemy of Death. It is interesting to me that they make this pact while drunk and seemingly not of sound mind 
  • The Revelers cont. 
    • The old man is an interesting character. His monologue to the men is quite long so it leads me to think he may play a role later in the story 
    • Ahh, quite interesting if the old man is Death's spy. Description of his garments did seem odd 
    • Oh, this would be such a twist of a metaphor if the gold leads to the young men becoming rich and their richness leads to their death. In other words, greed leads them to their death. 
    • Seems like a wise/well-thought-out plan
  • The Revelers end 
    • I did call the ending of all 3 of them dying. Quite an interesting set of stories. I first thought Death was a physical character they would fight. I had guessed Death would manipulate them, but in physical form. 
    • Great twist 


Comments

Popular Posts