Reading Notes: Canterbury Tales Reading B

Image Information: Canterbury Cathedral


  •  The Prioress's Tale: Little Hugh 
    • I like when author's use adjectives before nouns as this author does 
    • The relationship between the boy and the mother feels real and not just surface level
      • The adjectives like "loving mother" and "gently" give just enough information to get an understanding of the mother-son relationship here
    • Note that the boy's fascination with this song is likely leading him into a conflict 
    • I originally thought the older boy was going to be a bully or the antagonist in the story, but it seems he is more a mentor
      • I like the mentor choice 
    • Quite a dark twist for the boy to be killed because the other Jews did not approve of him
      • I had thought the author was saying that that was the plan. When I first read about the murderer seizing him, I was not thinking that presently happened but may in the future
        • Note to me: be careful to make sure my tenses are in line with what I want the reader to think not just assume 
    • What follows of 'Evil to him who deserves evil' reminds me of a line in Men in Black 3 "where there is death there will always be death." 
      • I don't quite like how dark this story is, but it is unexpected and is keeping me interested for any twists to come
    • Not exactly the twist ending I was expecting, but I guess I like that the boy kept singing that song. 
      • The plot of this story is not one I would enjoy writing, but I do like the idea of many twists, the relationship with the boy and his mother, the boy's fascination with God and Mary and the song, and the mentorship of the older boy. 

Comments

Popular Posts